This delicious wholesome bake is full of flavour and is a perfect mid week meal. It can be eaten as a main, or as a side dish with sweet potato, or grilled fish. It tastes just as good at room temperature, so you can pile the leftovers in tupperware to take to work. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
· 2 aubergines
· 1 onion, thinly sliced
· 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
· 1 tsp chilli flakes
· 1 tsp ground cumin
· 1 tbsp. tomato puree
· 2 green peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks.
· 1 x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
· 1 x 400g chopped tomatoes
· 1 tbsp. maple syrup
· Handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
· 4 plum tomatoes, sliced into thick rounds.
· Salt & Pepper
1. Cut the aubergine widthways, 2cm thick and place in a bowl. Season with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Bake In the oven for 35 minutes or until soft.
2. Meanwhile Sautee the onion, garlic until soft. Add the cumin, chilli flakes, peppers, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, maple syrup, chickpeas and a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat and cook until the peppers are cooked. Stir in the coriander.
3. Spread our half the plum tomatoes and aubergines into an oven proof dish. Top with the chickpea mixture, then layer with the remaining aubergines and tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for a further 30 minutes.
4. Serve with a large green salad and fresh coriander.